Sunday, February 6, 2011

Diamond rings and great coffee

Last night, after a good solid afternoon nap, Ann and I hit the local streets of SanTelmo heading to a steak restaurant. I was after that unique steak experience that so many people have told me about.

I can't remember the name of the restaurant, but it translated roughly to "we will not dissapoint your expectations" - big advertising for this simple yet robust way of presenting good food. We were not dissappointed!

We basically surrendered to the waiter and asked him to just look after us. I advised my allergies and voila, death by supreme gustational pleasure...
Served with two fishbowls full of the freshest most delicious wine I've ever tasted, followed by Limonata liquour... basically a lemon kick to the head with lemony sweetness. I practically melted under the table with pleasure. All for the incredible price of the equivalent of $30 Australian dollars.

 This morning we had a late start (I wonder why?) with two cafe pretos and some french fries (they are hand cut here and just touched with oil).

So, you know how some people quest to photograph the best sunset ever or the best beach scene ever..., well Ann and I have a mutual challenge now, not only to cross Avenida 7 July in less than 3 crossings and 10 minutes, but also to take the best 'coffee' photo, one that says the essence of coffee.

We realised as we saw all the photos and paintings of tango dancers and that some say it, and some don't. So the 'coffee' challenge is on, in much the same way. I post the best of my efforts each day here.
It looks and feels real.  It seems 'antique' jewelery here is not as valued as new, and so this ring has this lovely happy, beautiful energy. It feels like someone very happy once wore it and now me, very happy, wears it. I have always said to my best mate Ron, that I am more comfortable with antique jewelery (especially diamonds) and that I will buy my own diamond ring. That when it happens, having the love of my life in my life is enough, he doesn't need to buy me diamonds, just love me. So I found it, in the antique markets of South America - can you believe it! Ann actually gasped as I put it on, it is so gorgeous, solid, unusual and beautiful. I fell in love immediately. I had only just been telling her of my search of many years to find it.

Since then Ann, being the lovely soul that she is, is ensuring we stop at plentiful cafe's so I can lift the glass to my lips and admire my new ring as I do so. It actually slipped straight onto my finger like it belonged there and it sparkles in the sun.  Ann, is a bit under the weather today. Yesterday she was playing in the childrens pool with Hugo, the son of hotel caretaker Pablo, and not thinking when Hugo spat water at her, bent down and did the same. Since then she has been feeling less and less well, and is now taking an afternoon nap whilst I'm out here writing.

 I'm keeping an eye on her and dosing her up with water, alcohol (yes Dr Lemon) and vitamin C. I think she's ok, because I truely believe that its the flight, not the water... in my experience there is a time after a flight -   a day, or one to two days later - where it hits you... that lag of travelling thousands of kilometres in a small tin structure... My day was yesterday, Ann's is today. Fingers crossed that's all it is.

Tonight, hopefully we can see some more tango on the streets and enjoy some more good food.Otherwise there are other nights and other times. I know sometimes rest is just what is needed, and I'm happy to potter around the hotel with Pablo, the family who owns the hotel and Hugo.

Ok so one last rave about the food.  I swear everything here is hand picked, yesterday or today and it tastes like essence of salad, or essence of meat, delicious and full of flavour and nutrients. I can feel my body thanking me for this respite.

So, for the next few days, depending on how well both Ann and I feel, I will take some tango privates here -  Pablo is organising them for me. He will try and find a teacher that knows how to work with someone with a salsa base. Tango and Salsa are very different.

I will rest, eat well and admire this much searched after ring... que felicidades. 







No comments:

Post a Comment